About The Corporate Number
Based on the "Act on the Use of Numbers to Identify a Specific Individual in the Administrative Procedure" (hereinafter,"Number Act"), which took effect on May 24th, 2013 (promulgated on May 31st, 2013), the National Tax Agency will assign a Corporate Number to each corporation, and after notifying the subject corporation, publish the number with the trade name or name and address of head office or principal office.
Objective of Introduction of the Corporate Number
Corporations will each be assigned a single Corporate Number (13-digit) and notified at its registered address (Branch offices and places of business of corporations, sole proprietors, associations and the like, acknowledged by the Civil Act, will not be assigned a number). Unlike Individual Number (nicknamed "My Number"), there are no restrictions to its range of use and may be used openly by anyone.
The purpose of the Corporate Number is aligned with the basic principles of the Number Act, which is to improve administrative efficiency, enhance citizen's convenience, provide a social platform to realize a fair and just society and create new values.
- Improving Administrative Efficiency
Aim to improve the efficiency of management of information on corporations and other organizations, reduce the cost associated with reference and exchange of corporate information, and improve the efficiency of administrative operations.
- Enhancing Citizen's Convenience
Aim to coordinate the exchange of information among administrative organs and reduce the administrative burden on the applicants by curtailing attachments and simplifying procedures of various applications and the like.
- Realizing a Fair and Just Society
Through sharing of information on corporations and other organizations, contribute to maintaining appropriate relationships between payment and burden in administrative fields, such as the social security system, taxation and others.
- Creating New Value
Since there is no limitation to the range of use of the Corporate Number, through promotion of use and application by private enterprises, new value creation through utilization of the Corporate Number is anticipated.
Outline of the Corporate Number System
Designation of the Corporate Number
The Corporate Number is designated to: 1. Corporations which have been registered for incorporation under provisions of the Companies Act or other laws and regulations; 2. National government organs; and 3. In addition to local public entities, other corporations or associations or the like without legal personality but with the duty to file and pay corporate and consumption taxes or to withhold income tax on salary and the like. In regards to these corporations, the Commissioner of the National Tax Agency will designate a Corporate Number without requiring any filing or the like in particular.
Furthermore, corporations and associations or the like without legal personality that is not designated a Corporate Number as outlined above, corporations which possesses a domestic head office that is established through individual laws and ordinances, or those that meet a certain requirement, such as submission of documents such as tax returns, statements, etc., to the district director of the tax office and the like based on laws on national tax, may still be designated a Corporate Number by notifying the Commissioner of the National Tax Agency.
In addition, since only one Corporate Number is designated per corporation, it will not be assigned to any branch offices or addresses of business of a corporation (Corporate Numbers will neither be designated to individual proprietors nor associations and the like defined by the Civil Act).
Notification of the Corporate Number
The Corporate Number will be notified through a document with the Corporate Number and such sent from the Commissioner of the National Tax Agency.
The notification will be delivered to the registered address of the head office or the principal office of registered corporations, and for corporations other than registered corporations or associations and the like without legal personality but that submit statements as prescribed in laws regarding national tax, the notification will be sent to the address of the head office or the principal office as indicated in the said statement.
Publication of the Corporate Number
The Corporate Number will be published through the Internet (Corporate Number Publication Site).
Information to be made public is comprised of 3 components (Basic 3 Information): trade name or name of the association that has been designated a Corporate Number, address of head office or principal office, and the Corporate Number.
In addition, when a change has been made to the trade name, address, etc., after a Corporate Number has been designated, the published information will be updated along with the revision history.
National Tax Agency's Corporate Number Publication Site
The National Tax Agency will publish the following corporate information (Basic 3 Information) through its web site: 1. Trade name or name, 2. address of head office or principal office, and 3. Corporate Number. The following functions are offered in regards to the publication of the Basic 3 Information.
- Search and Browse Function
The user will be able to search and browse the Basic 3 Information using the Corporate Number, corporation name and address as criteria.
Also, queries for multiple Corporate Numbers can be executed simultaneously.
A site for smartphone users will also be made available, making the site accessible from not only desktop PCs, but smartphones and tablet PCs.
- Download Function
The entire library of Basic 3 Information on corporations is available for downloading in CSV and XML formats.
In addition to being able to download the entire data set at the end of every month sorted by address (by prefectures and abroad), incremental data by day (newly established and revisions to trade name and address) can also be downloaded.
- Web-API Function
An interface for the Basic 3 Information to be directly extracted by an enterprise system and the like is made available to the public.
In addition to obtaining the Basic 3 Information for a specific corporation through designation of the Corporate Number, a function that extracts information on corporations for which new Corporate Number were designated during a specified time period, such information including a revision history for such corporations’ trade name, addresses, is also available.
In addition to the above, a service delivering the most up-to-date information (complete national data set) at the end of the month stored on a data recording medium (DVD) is available.
Benefits of Introduction of the Corporate Number
"Learn," "Connect" and "Extend" through use of the Corporate Number.
As benefits of introduction of the Corporate Number, improved efficiency of administration, enhanced fairness, reduction in administrative burden on corporations, and creation of new value are anticipated.
Through use of the Corporate Number, the following will become possible.
Learn the Name and Address of a Corporation through the Corporate Number
- Confirm a corporation's name and address effortlessly by using the Corporate Number as the key.
- Access up-to-date name and address information, improve efficiency of registration and updating of database on corporate business partners.
Corporations Connecting Around the Corporate Number
- By adding the Corporate Number, efforts to collect and aggregate information on transactions with business partners, managed under different codes across multiple departments and group companies, can be carried out efficiently.
- Exchange of information on corporations using each unique Corporate Number among administrative organs will improve the efficiency of efforts to identify, aggregate, and link information on corporations.
Extension of New Services Utilizing Corporate Numbers
- Coordination of information among administrative organs utilizing the Corporate Number will be organized, and once a one-stop-solution to submission and application of administrative procedures is realized, there will be a reduction on burdens placed on corporations (enterprises).
- Once a platform to share information on corporations using the Corporate Number in the private sector is established, in addition to the anticipated improvement in efficiency of administrative work due to curtailed attachments in intercompany transactions and the like, useful information on companies will be made available to citizens.
Possible Applications of the Corporate Number
"Improvement of Operational Efficiency through Aggregation of Transaction Data by Corporate Number"
Here, we introduce an example of application based on an imaginary case in which multiple departments within the same company manage information on a client, "Corporation A," individually.
Referring to the left hand side of the above image, each department retains information on Corporation A for different purposes, and it is assumed that they each use a different code to manage their information. Here, we assume that the General Affairs department uses the company's former name to manage its data, Accounting attaches the department name, and Sales uses its old address, in which case, should a need arise to collect all information available on "Corporation A," it will be a time-consuming effort since aggregation will be based solely on names and addresses.
Taking a look at the right hand side of the above image, if the Corporate Number of "Corporation A," 001, was added to the transaction data managed by each department, improved efficiency will be gained when aggregating all data. Specifically speaking, through addition of the Corporate Number as a common management code among all departments, the following are some of the potential benefits that can be expected.
- By using the latest name and address information provided by the National Tax Agency, maintenance of name and address data of business partners retained by each department will be simplified.
- In a case Corporation A is a client, by aggregating all transaction data, it will become possible to execute a detailed sales approach and the like addressing Corporation A's actual needs.
Registration with the International Standard as an Issuing Agency
Since the Corporate Number can be applied to various uses, government and private sector alike, in the private sector, business partners with company codes assigned individually by each company are now assigned a Corporate Number as a common company code, leading to the following anticipated results.
- Reduced burden of maintenance of company codes (revision of trade name and address)
- In electronic information exchange related to dispatch and receipt of orders among companies, reduced burden of translating the counterparty's unique company code to one's own code
- Through availability of easy-to-obtain common company codes, small to mid-size companies will be able to adopt e-commerce transactions, promoting the expansion of e-commerce and improvement in efficiency across the industry.
The National Tax Agency was registered as an agency (hereinafter, "issuing agency") which issues organization (company) codes based on the international standard and regulations set forth by the UN, in order to ensure the absolute uniqueness of the Corporate Number on a global basis to facilitate the following applications.
- Use of company codes in intercompany transactions (e-commerce)
- Use of company codes as identifiers in automatic recognition medium, such as RFID tags (IC chips using non-contact technology)
Coding System in Application of E-Commerce and RFID Tags (Proposed)
By combining the issuing agency code and Corporate Number (company code), it ensures singleness (uniqueness) of the company code on a global basis.
Issuing Agency Code
(International Standard Portion)
Code Assigned to the National Tax Agency
(Portion determined by the issuing agency)
13-digit Corporate Number
International Standard Registered as the Issuing Agency
Three standards: (1) UN/EDIFACT Data Element 3055, (2) ISO/IEC 6523-2, and (3) ISO/IEC 15459-2. Details are shown in the table below.
Data Element 3055
|ISO/IEC 6523-2||ISO/IEC 15459-2|
|Issuing Agency Code||402||0188
- (Note 1)UN/EDIFACT(United Nations / Electronic data interchange for administration, commerce and transport)
- (Note 2)ISO(International Organization for Standardization)
- (Note 3)IEC(International Electrotechnical Commission)